There was a time that people steered clear of coconut oil. Because it contained high levels of saturated fat, it was erroneously tagged as unhealthy. Researches later on, however, revealed that saturated fats are healthy; it is trans fats that is described as “bad” fats.
Coconuts are commonly found in the tropics. It is the source of virgin coconut oil which is hailed for its medicinal properties, including as an effective treatment for eczema skin.
What makes coconuts medicinal is its high medium-chain fatty acid (MCFA) content, which is noted for its ability to prevent heart disease and for lowering the risk of atheroscleroris. Aside from that, MCFA also aids in treating the damaged skin as it enters the cell structures of our connective tissues. Because of this, it is widely celebrated as an excellent and organic way of treating eczema as well as other skin disorder.
MCFA serves as a protection of our skin, thus, preventing us from developing skin infections caused by bacteria and other organism. It is advisable for us to apply coconut oil since ordinary soap washes off the acid that serves as our skin’s protective layer.
There are different types of coconut oil products available in the market today. For the best results, you should either choose the organic coconut oil, or the virgin coconut oil. Ordinary coconut oil is not recommended because it comes from copra, or sun-dried meat of the coconut which are exposed to the air as well as to insects and molds. Copra is usually processed to make refined, bleached and deodorized coconut oil with the use of intense heat and chemicals.
Another thing that separates the virgin variety from the ordinary coconut oil is that the former smells fragrant while the latter does not.
Aside from lathering your skin with virgin coconut oil, you can also incorporate this into your diet using any of the suggested recipes below.
ith so much facts found about the coconut oil, there are now cookbooks written for its use as a key ingredient in recipes. As an Asian living near the Tropics, I have been brought up eating food that makes use of the coconut. My all time favorite is the Coconut Rice. We cook this, with other accompanying dishes, every time we have guests from other parts of the world coming over for dinner.
Virgin Coconut Oil Vinaigrette
This is a salad made of different vegetables.
You will need:
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup liquid virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of vinegar
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Mix ingredients in a bowl.
- Place this in a glass jar and refrigerate. Before serving, warm the vinaigrette to room temperature.
- Mix your favorite vegetables and pour the vinaigrette over the fresh vegetables.
Coconut Bastmati Rice
You will need:
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 6 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 3 cups coconut milk or 1 can coconut cream mixed with 3 cups of water
- sea salt to taste
- Cut the onions and fry them until golden brown. Then, lightly fry the almonds. Set these aside.
- Place the rice, coconut cream, water, and salt in a pan or rice cooker.
- Boil the mixture until the liquid evaporates.
- Lower the heat, cover, and continue cooking until rice is cooked.
- Stir the rice mixture with a fork.
- Add your fried raisins, onion, and almonds into the mixture.